Tuesday, December 13, 2011

presser hall.


  To make up for a missed show in October, The Civil Wars traveled back South December tenth in order to bless the people of Atlanta with a night of perfect harmonies. Disappointment from the earlier scheduled show soon dissipated as the swells of beautifully haunting music filled Agnes Scott's Presser Hall. Short anecdotes of how John Paul White and Joy Williams came to be the success they are caused the hearts of the audience to rejoice. It was a chance meeting; a story that could easily fill a fiction novel, yet it was real. I probably have listened to their full-length album more times than I could count, but I felt as though I was hearing all of the careful compositions for the first time. 
  The duo was meant to perform. The album "Barton Hollow" catches just enough of the magic to draw you in, but there is nothing like seeing the act live. They laugh. They play. They tease and talk. Above all, they love what they do and are so grateful that people would take a night out of their week to attend the show. 
  To accompany me that evening was my best friend. Due to a silly mix up of both of us buying the other a pair of tickets, we were left with two extra that we sold to another couple that joined us for the evening. It was nice to have a chance to tell of God's hand in our relationship. I was reminded of the grace we have had the privilege to walk under. It is easy to forget just how much has been accomplished when there are few opportunities to share. God has chosen quite a road for us to traverse, but I can be nothing but thankful. Walking in the cold to the venue reminded me of some of the first months of knowing each other. I think from the beginning we knew that there was something greater being accomplished than just a good friendship that sparked affection. I can trust that God knows exactly what we need in each season of life. And no matter how difficult the season, there is a chance to yield fruit. 

Currently Listening: "To Whom It May Concern" by The Civil Wars

No comments:

Post a Comment