Monday, January 16, 2012

19.


  No I am not speaking of the wonderfully composed first album of Adele, I am talking about me. Thursday I turned nineteen; a new milestone as every birthday is. At moments before the day came I didn't want to make the step into a new year of life, at other points I thought that the day could not have arrived any faster. It is a birthday. We all have them. As folks hit higher numbers the specific day seems to be dreaded rather than anticipated. Little boys and girls wait for their birthday as though their life revolves around it. Honestly, at that age it does. That one day of the year is the largest celebration for the first many years of their lives. The other day my niece began to talk to her mom and I about her ideas for her birthday party... Her birthday is in May. Then I believe the last category is that of the elderly that see another birthday as a blessing of good health and time with loved ones.
  There appears to be some validity to each of these stories. Excitement is stirred up in each of us whether it is caused by a cake with candles in it or a desire fulfilled. Dread could be attributed to the realization that time is moving quickly. Though I think there is a lie that tells us that we are losing time. It is true, in some seasons of our lives we can think of a hundred other things we could be doing yet we feel stuck in the reality of a situation. Possibly the best heart behind a birthday is an old one that is simply grateful that someone would even remember that special day.
  I am nineteen. I walked through many things since my last birthday but when I look back all I can do is smile. I am blessed above and beyond anything I could have asked for. I think the imagination of a small child is on the right track. I want to hope for the joy of what is to come next without the worry of how it will happen. I have learned that this simple task takes much faith and trust. At present, a difficulty appears far more daunting than it should. Human nature is what we have to thank for that. We are promised that there is reward when we diligently seek the Lord. Ephesians tells us that our Father can do exceedingly above and beyond what we could ever think or imagine. I can confidently say that this year before I turn twenty will hold many things: a lot of love, fulfilling joy, tried patience, heart-felt tears, unavoidable disappointment, childish excitement and learning through it all. It will be a year of overcoming trials and freedom.
  Something I await is being able to look back and see the faithfulness of God. Happy Birthday to all of you January babies and every one that follows. I hope this year is one of nothing that you expect for the purpose of allowing the Lord to do far more.

Currently Listening: "Conversation 16" by The National

No comments:

Post a Comment