Saturday, March 19, 2011

old fashioned.

  There is something to be said for old fashioned things; the things that made life special and mysterious in the days of our grandparents. After spending a week with my beautiful, ninety-two year old Gram, I furthered my education on the meaning of lady-like. A true gem that woman is. I decided to rummage through drawers and cabinets in the hours of relief from the hot, Florida sun. Treasure is what I found. Love letters slid in between books and pages; paper forgotten but the words stitched upon her heart. Wax and seals used to close the envelopes that held feelings strung together by dots on a page were found in a forgotten drawer of a secretary. Even the way that Gram "dressed for dinner" despite the fact that hamburgers adorned the menu drew a smile. Little things count. 

  It is sad to imagine a day when receiving a hand-written letter in the mail loses its value. Floral prints and sixties model BMW's are not the only things I like to reach into the past for; it's the manners, the innocence, and the swoon. A new mural was painted each sunrise and finished when the warmth disappeared underneath the Western horizon. I still believe the days that stole so many hearts exist. Our world just makes one dig a bit of a deeper hole.



Currently Listening: "Old Old Fashioned" by Frightened Rabbit
  

No comments:

Post a Comment