Saturday, September 5, 2015

On Brunch at Home.




    It is Labor Day weekend. I think this might be the first time in my adult life when I have fallen into the "9-5" category of work. The world of retail so sweetly absorbed my holidays, then offered a day off at another, more convenient time when a sale was not flooding the store with customers. The three-day weekend is a new thing to me and thus far I have enjoyed it thoroughly. 
    Jason left for work fairly early and my mind wouldn't let me slip back into a slumber. I got up. I was milling about my apartment after getting out of bed. I cleaned some. I repotted a plant. I finished up some dishes from yesterday and read a few pages in All the Light We Cannot See. After a couple of hours doing this and that, I realized I had yet to eat! My stomach was already in a state of panic, so I contemplated getting by with cereal or some yogurt. Then I realized the mistake I was about to make. I am enjoying a nice weekend of leisure. Though my to-do list might be growing, I have the time to sit and enjoy a meal. 
    Somewhere along the line, we decided that brunch occurs when you meet up with a friend, or a group of friends, and eat a fancy meal in the late hours of the morning. I had not planned to have brunch with anyone, but I could not give myself a reason to not enjoy a nice meal in my own kitchen. I turned on the stove top and put on some eggs. I grabbed a piece of bread and tossed it into the toaster. I laid a bed of spinach on my plate and placed the sunny-side up eggs on top, with a spread of Boursin cheese as a garnish. The toast finished and Bonne Maman, mixed berry preserves sweetened the meal. I poured some French press coffee and enjoyed a nice, slow meal at my kitchen table. 
    Nathan Williams expresses this notion in the mission of Kinfolk. They advocate "slow-living" and enjoying the process as much as the meal. I typically enjoy my meals. I guess this morning was a good reminder that even in solitude, enjoying the process is important. 


Currently Listening: "Planes to Crash" by Damien Jurado




No comments:

Post a Comment