Tuesday, April 14, 2015

spring in the city.

  Most of the time this city is bearable. You walk places all of the time. In the winter, you make it a point to bundle up and carry your layers and try to hop on the subway to get out of the cold. In the dead of winter, you have almost decided to transplant your life to a sunny place when more piles of snow continue to dump onto the streets assuring you that South is the only good cardinal direction. We have swiftly stepped out of our winter boots and landed in our sneakers, welcoming the warmer weather where we see the sun.
  I would agree with anyone that too often us New Yorkers talk about how awful the winter is here. There is no doubting that the freezing temperatures and constant snowfall can weigh on someone, but there is such glory in living somewhere that experiences all seasons. Being from the South, I only felt slightly chilly days of winter before the sun warmed up the state and we were back to t-shirts come early March. The beginning of this March, and even up to the first day of Spring, we experienced snow in the city. Now I would not say that New York's winter charm is embedded in the number of days we experience snowfall, but the point is that I have never looked forward to the springtime more in my entire life.

  The day I saw sixty degrees on the weather report, I was sure that heavenly realms were rejoicing alongside us as we prematurely wore dresses on Easter morning. Overwhelmed by the excitement, I failed to notice that the temperature would drop a fair amount throughout the day and I would experience the cool breeze on my translucent legs. Regardless, the day was glorious and enjoyed with a brunch at The Grange surrounded by sweet friends. Everywhere I walk now I see flowers. Beautiful bouquets of pinks, greens and yellows lining the outside of supermarkets. Chocolate is now not the only thing I have to say no to when making a quick stop. But more than the curated bouquets, the city comes back to life. Just today I saw the tables of restaurants being swept off and brought outside to enjoy the breeze. French doors have swung open and people have made the walk home an enjoyable experience again.

  There are some things you just don't realize that you missed until you catch a glimpse of their beauty unexpectedly. The buildings on the Upper West Side never looked so ornate before being set against the blue city sky. And even though I will most likely forget this fresh feeling of Spring when winter comes again, I look forward to being reminded.

No comments:

Post a Comment