Monday, April 20, 2015

invisibilia: npr


  I have never taken a moment to think about all of the things that I do not see that end up having a great impact on my life. Okay, so maybe I have noticed these things subconsciously. For instance, I brush my teeth not only for good hygiene, but also so that people won't judge me for having bad breath. I might feel more insecure in large group settings, so I talk a little faster and end up making oddly terrible jokes. If no one guessed it already, this only makes the situation worse. 
  NPR explains this podcast as such:"Invisibilia (Latin for all the invisible things) is about the invisible forces that control human behavior - ideas, beliefs, assumptions, and emotions. Co-hosted by Lulu Miller and Alix Spiegel, Invisibila interweaves narrative storytelling with scientific research that will ultimately make you see your own life differently."
   I find this explanation interesting and one to really set the tone of what is to come. There are so many things that I do because of those four listed features of being a human. I cannot count the number of assumptions I make, and even more so assumptions I accept as truth, throughout my day. I actively work against those thoughts that leech onto my brain in hopes of putting off a behavioral shift. The scary thing about these stories is that they are real. They are disturbing. They also can happen to anyone. Our thought life is a very powerful realm. We can be swept up into a fake world of emotional thought drama and without realizing it act out of fabricated reality as opposed to what is actually happening. 
   Listening to this podcast has driven me to focus on what thoughts are streaming through my mind, to consider if those thoughts are helpful or harmful, but ultimately to strive to be more present and not be consumed with the said thought life. People need people. We thrive when we experience healthy relationship. There are some uncomfortable pieces of the stories they tell in this series so consider yourself warned. Also, what are you thinking about right now? 

Listen to the podcast here.

No comments:

Post a Comment